MovieLandmarks

Finding The Fuzzy Middle

It has been quite some time since I wrote about one of my longest running projects, MovieLandmarks . The UI hasn’t changed much in the intervening years. But the backend has been rewritten in Go, and the covers now come from TMDB instead of IMDB . Recently I decided I wanted the map to open to a view of the landmarks related to the move being passed to it using the #mv-XXXX hash.

New MovieLandmarks Update

Movie Landmarks is back online. I think this is the 5th iteration of the project that I originally started back in 2006. It started out as a PHP app, morphed into a python wsgi application. It was always backed by a mysql db with lots of interactive features. For this redesign I've dropped all of that extra stuff and simplified things. I threw out the database and replaced it with a couple of python dictionaries holding the landmark information and another with the movie data.